Jollof Rice (Dry chilli tomato risotto)
Jollof rice is one of Africa’s most well-known dishes. Now, thanks to its popularity, more people are enjoying its smoky and spicy flavour around the world. The WAKIKI chefs love to make jollof rice and we have our own great recipe to share with you, which is the same recipe we use for the jollof rice we cook and deliver!
We like our jollof to have a rich flavour and with vibrant colour. The recipe we are sharing is for a large pot, perfect for sharing with family and friends. However, it can simply be divided if you want to make a smaller amount or to use the jollof as a side!
- One kilogram of rice (long grain or Basmati rice)
- Five tbsp of vegetable oil
- Two scotch bonnet peppers
- One medium-size onion
- One long red pepper
- Four beef stock cubes
- Half a tsp of salt
- Two tbsp of tomato puree
- Thoroughly rinse rice (if using long grain rice)
- Thoroughly blend peppers, onions, and tomatoes
- Pour oil into medium-size pot.
- Heat up oil on medium heat for about five minutes – just before it starts to smoke.
- Pour in blended mix, then add salt and spices, allow to cook for another 15 minutes
- Pour in rice, add room temperature water until rice is completely covered by water
- Sprinkle in stock cubes, mix and taste – if not slightly salty, add a pinch more salt
- Cover pot and cook for about 30 minutes or specified rice cooking time.
- Lower the heat and gently mix rice, before leaving for five minutes.
- Turn off heat and serve immediately.